First Baptist of Alexandria Foundation, Inc
First Baptist of Alexandria Foundation, Inc.
Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:00pm in the Chapel.
The annual meeting of our First Baptist of Alexandria Foundation, Inc. will be held in the Chapel at 6:00pm on Sunday, October 13, 2013. At this meeting, three Directors will be elected, and Foundation Treasurer will provide a report summarizing the work of the Foundation for the year ending September 30, 2013.
Plan to attend and learn more about how contributions to the Foundation are making possible expanded ministries at First Baptist Church.
Following the meeting copies of the Foundation Annual Report will be available adjacent the Foundation plaque on the first floor or by contacting a Foundation Director.
About the Foundation
The Foundation was created during May, 1979 as a non-profit charitable organization that is closely affiliated with the First Baptist Church of Alexandria in the form of a Virginia corporation. Prior to its formation a need was apparent within the Church organizational structure for a more definite approach for receiving and managing certain special contributions which go beyond the regular giving to the Church and are intended to benefit its work through the expenditure of money over an extended period of time. The Foundation charter and by-laws which were drafted upon the recommendation of the Administration and Finance Commission of the Church, and approved by the Executive Church Council, and the congregation in business session on May 2, 1979, are available in the Church office or by contacting the Foundation Directors. The I.R.S. has confirmed the tax exempt status of the Foundation and the deductibility of contributions given to the Foundation.
Work of the Foundation
The Foundation was organized to receive and manage donations of a special nature which are directed to it so that the income generated can be used to periodically aid the ministries of the First Baptist Church of Alexandria. Accordingly, the Foundation provides a vehicle for continuous financial assistance to enhance the religious ministries of the First Baptist Church. This is done by supplementing the unified Church budget expenditures which continue to be the primary source of funding for the ministries of the Church. A gift to the Foundation results in continuing support for the First Baptist Church of Alexandria as far into the future as one can foresee as the Foundation uses contributions to make investments and uses the investment earnings to assist the ministries of our church on an ongoing basis.
Future Foundation Assets
Large or small contributions to the Foundation may be made by gift or bequest and may take the form of money, securities, life insurance policies, real estate, or other forms of property. A contribution may be simply made by sending a check made payable to the "First Baptist of Alexandria Foundation, Inc." to the Church office together with an indication of which fund is to receive the donation. Yellow envelopes for making a contribution to the Foundation are available in the Church office and are included with the offering envelopes which are provided to Church members during May. However, it is not essential that these envelopes be used so long as the intent of the donor is indicated. In the absence of specific instructions the contribution will be placed in the General Fund of the Foundation.
If a gift is made in honor or memory of a friend or loved one, the Foundation will notify the person being honored or the family of a deceased person that a contribution has been made.
Members of First Baptist Church of Alexandria are encouraged to remember the First Baptist of Alexandria Foundation, Inc. in their Wills. Other routes for donation should also be considered, such as life insurance beneficiary designations, retirement plan beneficiary designations, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, etc., as deemed appropriate based upon the circumstances of a particular Church member.
The Directors are pleased to discuss with prospective donors the possibility of establishing additional funds within the Foundation which are intended to aid designated areas of Church ministry. Information for use when your Will is prepared also is available. Interested persons may call the Church office (703-684-3720) and ask that a representative of the Foundation contact them or they may contact a Director.
Benton S. Duffett, Jr.
Martha Jo Meserole
Mary Jane Pessaud
Members of the First Baptist Church who have not already done so are encouraged to become members of the Foundation by signing a yellow "Membership Request" card. The membership roll of the Foundation is maintained in the Church Office. The Foundation is always open to receive new members. Members of the Foundation are eligible to vote at membership meetings of the Foundation, are eligible to serve as a Director of the Foundation.
Thanks are expressed to those who have contributed to the Foundation over the years. The contributions, as received by the Foundation in the past, are presently in seventy different funds. Each fund is open to the receipt of additional contributions. Unless otherwise designated, contributions are placed in the Foundation’s General Fund.
- Mary E. Billings Music Fund – enhances church music program.
- Zyx Harper Burk Memorial Fund – helps maintain the Lloyd Byron Burk Memorial Rose Garden by the chapel.
- Jeanne Weckler Euler Library Support Fund – provides additional resources for the church library.
- Myra and Willard M. Hudson Youth Ministry Fund – aids youth ministries of the church.
- Davis/Shelton Deaf Ministry Fund – supplements church ministries among the deaf.
- Marc and David Meserole Youth Ministry Fund – aids youth ministries of the church.
- Eleanor Gayle Currin Educational Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Wyatt A. Winkler Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Miley-Allen Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Ruth and L.P. Loomis Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Albert P. Ferguson Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Seminarian Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- William P. Tedards, Sr. Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Helen Humphrey Tolbert Church Development Fund – provides assistance for the starting of new churches or church revitalization.
- Bruce and Lucille Lambert Senior Citizens Fund – provides financial assistance to needy senior adults.
- James D. and Mary Emma Moore Foreign Missions Fund – supplements the annual Lottie Moon Christmas Offering.
- Mildred Groves Kelley Missions Fund – provides additional mission ministries.
- Kuhlmann-West Home Missions Fund – provides additional mission ministries in Northern Virginia.
- Samuel H. Rollins Music Education Fund – aids church music program.
- Peg Ford Memorial Music, Art, and Drama Fund – enhances ministries in named areas.
- Bible and Life Fund – aids general ministry needs of the church.
- Winnie C. Bates and Tina L. Wolford Building Support Fund – aids in construction, modification, and maintenance of church properties.
- Amy Hall Children’s Ministry Fund – aids ministries among children.
- The Mixed Patch Memorial Fund – aids mission and other needs.
- Arthur E. and Clara M. Morrissette Fund – provides financial assistance to needy senior adults and aids general ministry needs.
- Susie B. Sommers Fund – aids general ministry needs.
- Thelma S. Nesbitt Fund – aids general ministry needs.
- Robert Brown Fund – provides assistance and enrichment to the lives of the sick and their caregivers.
- Joe A. and Ruth B. Ellis Fund – provides assistance to HopeTree Family Services.
- Kathryn E. Lytal Fund for Counseling – provides counseling for teenagers and young adults.
- Armstrong-Humphrey Ministers’ Housing Fund – provides loans for the purchase of a home with the interest to aid general ministry needs.
- Sara G. Nash Fund – aids general ministry needs.
- Victoria Hampton Fund – aids mission ministry needs.
- Betty and Erwin Brooks Fund – supports expanded senior adult programs and care, support, and maintenance of needy senior adults.
- Denham A. Maupin Fund for Evangelism – aids bringing people to faith in Christ through direct evangelism or the meeting of physical needs.
- Virginia K. Duffett Fund – aids the general ministry needs of the church.
- Margo Collins Memorial Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Barbara Webb Singles Ministry Fund – used to expand singles ministry at First Baptist Church.
- Laura and Julian Davis Fund for Foreign Missions – supplements the annual Lottie Moon Christmas offering.
- Ruby Jessup Eudy Fund – aids the general ministry needs of the church.
- James Dewitt and Velma P. Purcell Fund – assists the ministries of the Virginia Baptist Children’s Home.
- Jesse F. and Elizabeth W. Channel Scholarship Fund – provides seminary scholarship assistance.
- W. Cecil Frazier Fund for Senior Adults – provides assistance to seniors with emphasis on enabling senior citizens to remain in their homes.
- Helen Rae Hardy Fund – aids the general ministry needs of the church
- Lorraine Ayres Fund – aids the general ministry needs of the church.
- Patricia C. and Scott C. Humphrey Fund – used for Christian training, mission trips, and Christian retreats and seminars.
- Lottie and Winslow Brantley Missions Fund – supplements the annual Lottie Moon Christmas offering.
- Mark Anthony King Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Hobbs-Bauer Senior Ministry Fund – provides financial assistance to individual senior adults for participation in church events.
- A. Dowell and Lee S. Mansfield Fund – provides basic necessities to individuals in need.
- Ed and Arlene Bauer Music Ministry Fund – expands music and worship ministry.
- Shepherd’s Fund – aids individuals and families who are in financial need.
- Edgar C. Papke Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Sarah Jane Heilbronner Fund – assists ministries to special needs children and young adults.
- Henry W. Sheneman Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Bernice and Eugene Hoerrmann Scholarship Fund – provides scholarship aid.
- Marion Thompson Drumheller Fund – assists the ministries of the HopeTree Family Services.
- Bobby A. and Christine P. Jones Music Fund – aids church music program.
- William H. (Billy) Pessaud, Jr. Fund – aids special music programs for outreach ministry.
- Harold and Bertha Cumbee Fund – provides scholarship aid to seminary students, enables seniors to participate in travel activities, and aids ministries to the deaf.
- Eskridge-Coleman Children and Youth Ministry Fund – aids ministries to children and youth.
- Charles and Judy Black Marriage Support Fund – promotes Christian marriages.
- Youth Ministry and Missions Fund – Makes possible greater youth participation in activities and mission programs.
- Nora F. and Harry Wickline International Missions Fund – hearing aids and eyeglasses are provided to share Jesus.
- Laura Moutray Fund for Women’s Ministry – Women’s ministries at First Baptist Church are assisted.
- Wistar and Doris Pittard Fund – Christian ministries in the D.C. metropolitan area are assisted.
- Dorothy V. Allport Preschool Ministry Fund – assists in training, educating, and equipping preschool leaders.
- Jeanie Lloyd Preschool Ministry Fund – assists in expanding and supporting preschool ministries.
- Robert (Bob) and Barbara Moore Fund – aids benevolence and sports ministries.
- McPherson-Copeland Missions Fund – mission outreach to Central Asian people groups.
- Rev. Virginia Leigh Swaim and John F. White, Sr. Seminarian Scholarship Fund – provides seminary scholarship assistance.
- Donald E. and Dorothy P. Lytal Crisis Response Fund - provides assistance to those in crisis.
- Calvert-Bayliss Fund - provides assistance to single parents and caregivers of children and the elderly..
- Edgar F. Odom Fund - assists needs of military service members.
- Lucchesi-Harper Fund - provides benevolence assistance.
- Jewel M. Horn Fund - provides expanded senior adult ministries.
- William J. and Elizabeth B. Schnarr Fund - assists missions, evangelism, and Christian education.
- Hoover Family Fund - assists student ministries.
- General Fund – aids general ministry needs of the church which likely would not otherwise be met.
First Baptist of Alexandria Foundation, Inc.
During the past year the Foundation has aided the ministries of
First Baptist Church in the following areas:
(1) Educational Scholarships
(2) Central Asia Mission Trip
(3) Motor Coaches for Senior Adult Trips
(5) Youth Choir Mission Trip Bus
(6) Children’s Pager System
(7) Lottie Moon Christmas Offering
(8) Publication of Laz Prayer Guide
(9) Marriage Conference
(10) Updates to Church Parlor & Entryway
(11) Transportation for Interim Pastor for the Deaf
(12) Music/Worship Intern
(13) Summer College Intern
(14) Orlando Children’s Pastor Conference
(15) Counseling Assistance
(16) Shelby Systems Training for Staff
(17) Attendance at in-depth Financial Peace University Financial Counselor Course
(18) Assistance to Senior Adult in Need
(19) Senior Services of Alexandria Meals on Wheels Donation
(20) HopeTree Family Services
(21) LCD Projector and Camcorder for Deaf Congregation
(22) Ministry Summer Intern
(23) Hymns We Sing Seminar
(24) Fall Single Adult Conference
(25) Gospel Coalition Women’s Conference Attendance
(26) Passion Conference
(27) Youth Labor Day Retreat
(28) Tent Toppers for Church Events
(29) Funeral Assistance
(30) Volunteers to Attend Accessibility Summit
(31) Homebound Poinsettias
(32) Assistance to Easter Seals Camp Attendee
(33) Church Rose Garden Maintenance
(34) FBC Member Attendance at Black Sea Region Conference
(35) Sermon Tapes for Homebound
(36) Church Library Expenses